Along with your active user count, the Overview page also tells you which pages your users are viewing, as well as their geographic location.
Be sure to check out the additional Real-Time sections in the left-hand navigation to learn more about your active users' behavior.
Real-Life Uses for Real-Time
- Say you just posted on social media about a new blog article, or launched a promotion that directs people to a certain area of your site. Real-Time is a great way to see who’s coming to read your article and if the social media promotion is working.
- It’s even a great way to check to see if Google Analytics is installed on a new site correctly. After installing the tracking code, visit your website, then visit Real-Time to see if it’s registering your visit.
- If you have an event, or someone from your company is making a media appearance, Real-Time is a good way to monitor if the event or appearance is driving people to your website and what kind of things they're looking at.
Other Analytics Tools to Gain Insight
If you want to take it a step further, you can find out even more about what people do on your website using other tools like:
- Crazy Egg: Crazy Egg uses heat mapping and scroll mapping to show you the exact spot on the webpage where people actually click, how far down the page they scroll and how much time they spend on each area of your webpage.
- Mouseflow: Mouseflow records how people move their mouses across your webpage and can show you a video of their behavior. This can be useful for watching how people use interactive parts of your site like forms.
- Woopra: Woopra provides many of the same real-time analytics as Google with the added option of being able to chat live with your site visitors. This can be helpful for site retention, assisting customers having difficulty using the site, or encouraging them to complete a sale or other action by interacting with them in a positive, helpful way.
This is just a short list, but you can see some of our other favorite analytics tools here.
Not happy with the number of visitors on your website? Let us know. Our digital marketing team loves a good challenge!